Boris Johnson made no mention of the Government’s plans to reopen grounds in his national address on Monday night and further delays in getting crowds back have sparked fears that many clubs outside the Premier League could go to the wall.
Millwall, Charlton, QPR and Leyton Orient have joined West Ham in throwing their support behind the Bring Back The Fans campaign, which was kicked off last week by Arsenal legend Ian Wight.
Leyton Orient chairman Nigel Travis has questioned why grounds remain closed while arts and music venues including the Royal Albert Hall are being allowed to open with spectators. Mr Travis said: “It is a real irony that you can have the Albert Hall full to whatever the per cent is, you can also encourage fans to watch games in groups, but not let them stand outside.
“I am very supportive of the Standard’s Bring Back The Fans campaign. At Leyton Orient we think we could have 2,500 to 3,000 people in and fully meet social-distancing criteria.”
West Ham star Declan Rice called on the Government to follow the German example, where a number of fans have been let back into stadiums.
Rice said: “If you asked half the Premier League players if they wanted fans back, they would all tell you, ‘100 per cent’.
“The other day I saw a game at Dortmund where they let 12,000 in and that is the way we have got to start going, to let them back in gradually.”